Saturday, May 3, 2008

Yet another Interesting Quote for this Moment

It is I, Tristan, here with yet another installment in this fine series of quotes from a literary master.

This quote comes from the Tempest and is straight from the monster himself, Caliban

All the infections that the sun sucks up
From bogs, fens, flats, on Prosper fall, and make him
By inch-mail a disease! his spirits hear me,
And yet I needs must curse. But they'll nor pinch,
Fright me with urchin-shows, pitch me i' the mire,
Nor lead me, like a firebrand, in the dark
Out of my way, unless he bid 'em: but
For every trifle are they set upon me;
Sometimes like apes, that mow and chatter at me,
And after bite me; then like hedgehogs, which
Lie tumbling in my barefoot way, and mount
Their pricks at my footfall; sometime am I
All wound with adders, who with cloven tongues
Do hiss me into madness.
~Caliban, The Tempest Act II scene ii
I chose this particular quote because of the wonderful language used by this character. He is supposedly inferior but he speaks with such eloquence and style that one must admit that, though simple, this creature has quite the mind in his head. Even through a bout of cursing another man he speaks such gorgeous, imaginative lines.

1 comment:

Kristopher said...

I agree. Caliban can be described as a savage that lacks any sign of nobility. He can still rouse up an unsuspecting crowd to help plot his treacherous deeds.

I did not expect to find another post on this particular blog! I know Shakespeare class is over and all but I swing by from time to time.

- Kristopher